High in protein, this lean meat contains the amino acid tryptophan which increases the product of the sleep regulating hormone melatonin. So, this recipe is not only great for new parents, but toddlers too, and it’s a great one to batch cook as it freezes so well.
Suitable for: new parents and from 12 months
Prep: 30 minutes
Cooking: 5 hours
For the sauce
1 Piccolo chicken stock cube, crumbled
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 carrots, finely diced
1 celery stick, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
600g tomato passata
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp honey or redcurrant jelly
For the meatballs
400g lean minced turkey
4 tbsp porridge oats
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
Salt and pepper to season
Make this baby friendly: remove the salt from the recipe and use redcurrant jelly rather than honey to make this suitable from 6 months.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and fry gently for a minute.
- Pour in the passata, herbs and the crumbled stock cube and stir. Then transfer the lot to the slow cooker.
- To make the meatballs, tip the mince into a large bowl. Add the oats,
paprika, garlic and plenty of black pepper, and mix everything together with your hands.
- Divide the mixture into 20 lumps about the size of a walnut and roll each piece into a meatball.
- Spray or run a non-stick pan with a little oil and fry on a medium heat until browned all over, remove as cooked and add to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5 hours. Serve over rice or pasta if you like, or with a
Piccolo makes healthy (and very tasty) organic baby meals, cooking products and snacks packed with fruit and veg, making it easy for parents to give their families a nutritious start in life and promote a lifetime of healthy eating. The brand is partnered with City Harvest and gives 10% of its profits to charity. Available in all major retailers and its online store. www.mylittlepiccolo.com.