A tasty and colour recipe, perfect for picnics during the holidays! Our friends at Piccolo have shared their Tomato and Basil Ricotta Tart recipe, great for summer festivities and the whole family to enjoy.
For dairy-free options, make a tomato-sauce base and mix in some sun-dried tomatoes and paprika – it’s just as delicious!
Makes: 6 portions
Suitable from: 12 months
Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking: 40 minutes
- 1 roll of filo or puff pastry
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Salt and pepper
- 300g mixed tomatoes (baby, plum, heritage), sliced into 2cm thick slices
- Heat oven to 180C. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. If using filo pastry, lay 1 sheet of filo pastry on parchment paper.
- Brush lightly with olive oil. Top with another sheet of filo; brush lightly with oil.
- Repeat until all filo sheets are stacked. Otherwise roll out the puff pastry to fit the tray.
- Lay a piece of baking paper over the top of the pastry, and line with baking beans or rice to blind bake the pastry (as the filling is quite wet).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Make the filling while the pastry is cooking.
- Slice the tomatoes, cutting out any extra seeds in the big tomatoes to reduce liquid. Sprinkle with a little salt and let rest.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta cheese, basil, parsley, lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste until well combined.
- Once the pastry is cooked, take it out of the oven and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes, then spread the ricotta mixture over the top of the pastry, leaving a 1inch border along the edges.
- Drain the excess liquid from the tomatoes and place them on top of the ricotta. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes until the dough is golden brown and flaky.
Piccolo makes healthy (and very tasty) organic baby meals, cooking products and snacks packed with fruit and veg, making it easy for parents to give their families a nutritious start in life and promote a lifetime of healthy eating. The brand is partnered with City Harvest and gives 10% of its profits to charity. Available in all major retailers and its online store. www.mylittlepiccolo.com.