With Christmas party season just on the horizon, these super quick sweet potato stars are not only a great festive snack food, but also an amazing base for a canapé. Simply top with cream cheese and chopped chives for little ones and adults alike!
Tip: Try mixing up the flavours, grate carrot or add spices such as paprika for a little kick.
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
Makes: 12 stars
Suitable for: freezing and from 10 months
- 200g sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 60g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, whisked together
- 120g fine oats
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pre heat oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4.
- Grate the sweet potato in a bowl (the smaller the grate, the neater the stars) and top with a little boiled water that just covers the sweet potato. Cover with cling film and cook in the microwave for 3 minutes on high.
- Drain the sweet potato and then place on a clean cloth / a few layers of kitchen paper and squeeze out the liquid (The carrots need to be quite dry).
- Place the sweet potato back in the bowl and mix with the remaining ingredients. The mixture should be quite wet.
- Prepare a baking tray with baking paper or use a silicon baking sheet.
- Form star shapes of the mixture onto the sheet using a cookie cutter. Use a heaped teaspoon and stuff into the cookie cutter. Use the back of the teaspoon to push down the mixture into the corners and to lift off the cookie cutter.
- Bake for around 12 minutes, until brown and crispy on the sides.
Piccolo makes healthy (and very tasty) organic baby meals, cooking products and snacks packed with fruit and veg, making it easy for parents to give their families a nutritious start in life and promote a lifetime of healthy eating. The brand is partnered with City Harvest and gives 10% of its profits to charity. Available in all major retailers and its online store. www.mylittlepiccolo.com.