With Pancake Day just around the corner on Tuesday 1st March, flip things up with this super fun (and nutritious) recipe that’s sure to get your little monsters giggling!
Our friends at Piccolo have shared their delicious spinach and broccoli pancake recipe that’s also a great way to get some extra greens. Plus, they’re suitable for freezing!
Makes: 8 pancakes
Suitable for: Mums in every stage of pregnancy. Babies from 10 months
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
Spinach & Broccoli Monster Pancakes
- 100g spinach
- 50g broccoli florets cut into tiny pieces
- 125 g wholemeal or spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 200 ml full fat milk or plant milk
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil plus extra for frying
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Wash the spinach and heat in a pan with a splash of water and the broccoli.
- Cook until wilted and cooked through. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Squeeze the excess liquid from the cooked vegetables, add to a blender and pulse until broken down.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend on high speed until well combined.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and pour a spoonful of batter per pancake into the pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side before turning over with a spatula and cooking the other side.
- Keep warm in a low oven until you’re ready to serve them.
- Can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days once cool or frozen with a sheet of greaseproof paper in between each one to stop them sticking.
- Decorate with cut fruit & vegetables to make into monsters.
- Decorate with: blueberry & banana slices for eyes (sweet) or: blobs of yoghurt with chopped olives for eyes (savoury).
Piccolo Organic makes healthy (and very tasty) baby meals, cooking products and snacks to help you get the balance right every day. The brand is partnered with City Harvest and Little Village, and gives 10% of its profits to charity. Available in all major retailers and its online store. www.mylittlepiccolo.com