Baked eggs are an amazing option for a hearty and warming breakfast while the cold weather is still here.
Our friends at Piccolo have shared their quick and easy recipe the whole family can enjoy. For little ones, simply mix in the egg rather than cracking it on top, a great way to try out new textures!
Makes: 2 portions
Suitable for: Mums in every stage of pregnancy. Babies from 6 months
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
Sicilian Style Baked Eggs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 medium sized good quality tomatoes
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 basil leaves, roughly torn
- 1 large free range or organic egg
- Warm the olive oil in a heavy based frying pan. Cut the tomatoes into rough chunks and add them to the warm oil with the garlic. Cook on a medium heat, stirring now and then for five or so minutes until the tomatoes start to break down.
- Add the tomato puree and balsamic vinegar and cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Crack in the egg and stir as if making scrambled egg until they are creamy and cooked through.
- Take off the heat and sprinkle through the torn basil. Serve on its own or with some crumbled cheese or on toast.
Piccolo Organic makes healthy (and very tasty) baby meals, cooking products and snacks to help you get the balance right every day. The brand is partnered with City Harvest and Little Village, and gives 10% of its profits to charity. Available in all major retailers and its online store. www.mylittlepiccolo.com