With Pancake Day just around the corner, we can’t wait to try this toddler-friendly oat and seed pancake recipe from the foodies at Piccolo.
Now that January is finally over, we’re super excited to delve into February and all of its foodie occasions! From Valentine’s Day to Chinese New Year and Pancake Day, there’s a lot to look forward to.
We don’t want the little ones to miss out on all the fun either, so our friends at Piccolo have shared their favourite pancake recipe with us to help you celebrate Pancake Day right.
Developed by co-founder and infant nutritional expert, Alice, these scotch-style pancakes are exactly what your baby needs. While feeling like a treat (try adding frozen berries for extra flavour), they’re also packed with quality nutrients from the oat and seed flour. Plus, they’re just as good for adults so no need to make more than one batter!
Makes: 8 oat and seed pancakes
Suitable for: Breastfeeding mums and babies from 6 months
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Allergens: contains dairy
Suitable for freezing
- 150g rolled oats
- 60g seeds such as sesame, sunflower or linseed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp honey
- 100ml milk, plant based or full fat
- Squeeze of lemon juice
To make this baby friendly, remove honey from recipe to be suitable finger food from 6 months.
- Using a food processor or high-powered blender, grind oats and seeds to a flour like consistency.
- Transfer to a medium sized mixing bowl and stir in baking powder and salt.
- If using cows milk, measure out milk and stir in lemon juice. Let sit for 5 mins. If using plant milk simply add milk and lemon to dry ingredients. Meanwhile crack open eggs and whisk.
- Add milk mixture, honey and eggs to dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. You want a dropping consistency. If too thick, add more milk.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of oil. Pour a large tablespoon of pancake mixture onto the heated surface. You are aiming for drop scone size. Cook until bubbles form on pancakes. Flip and continue cooking until pancakes become lightly brown on opposite side.
- Repeat with the remainder of batter. Serve with fresh berries or tinned peaches and natural yoghurt with extra seeds.
Piccolo Organic makes healthy (and very tasty) baby meals, cooking products and snacks to help you get the balance right every day. The brand is partnered with City Harvest and Little Village, and gives 10% of its profits to charity. Available in all major retailers and its online store at www.mylittlepiccolo.com.