Whether or not it’s barbecue weather where you are, these Mediterranean inspired skewers bring the feeling of summer to your family dinner table and make a great sharing platter with a mix of salads and toasted pittas or rice.
Suitable: from 12 months
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
For the marinated chicken:
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- salt and pepper
- 5tbsp olive oil, divided
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup (optional)
- juice of 1/2 a lime
For the herby and green yogurt sauce:
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 ripe avocado
- large handful chopped fresh dill, stems removed
- handful of parsley, chopped
- 200ml of greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- juice of 1/2 of a lime
- pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
- salt, if needed
- First marinade the chicken. Make the marinade by blending together all the ingredients.
- Cut the chicken into chunks. Place in a large ziplock plastic bag or bowl.
- Reserve a little of the marinating sauce to brush the chicken with later. Pour the remaining sauce into the bag or bowl with the chicken. Seal or cover the mixture and refrigerate as long as you can, minimum 2 hours, but overnight is best.
- Soak the wooden skewers in water while preparing the dipping sauce
- To make the sauce, combine the garlic, herbs, yogurt, olive oil, lime juice and cayenne pepper in a food processor. Blend until all the ingredients are well mixed into a smooth thick sauce. Test and add salt if needed. Transfer to a small bowl or container, cover and refrigerate.
- When you’re ready to grill, preheat the grill on medium high for 5-10 minutes and oil the grates.
- Meanwhile, drain off the marinade and place the chicken pieces on skewers. Place the chicken on the hot grill, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. Brush with reserved sauce and flip.
- Repeat this process until you see that the chicken is browned to your liking and fully cooked.
- Serve with the sauce and a green salad, pitta, or some cooked rice.
Piccolo Organic makes healthy (and very tasty) baby meals, cooking products and snacks to help you get the balance right every day. The brand is partnered with City Harvest and Little Village, and gives 10% of its profits to charity. Available in all major retailers and its online store. www.mylittlepiccolo.com