With brunch out off the menu for the foreseeable, founder of food blog The Flexitarian provides a delicious and nutritional breakfast to eat at home
With the current situation putting a hold on any brunch plans at some of our favourite weekend haunts, we’ve called in the pros for some DIY breakfast recipes. First up it’s a delicious organic offering from Annabelle of The Flexitarian.
This organic smashed avocado toast with poached egg and harissa makes a wholesome alternative to a traditional cooked breakfast, and is super easy to try at home for yourself. Fiery harissa is a match made in heaven with eggs. Originally from Tunisia, you can use harissa to perk up a lot of vegetable dishes, too.
Breakfast Recipe: Organic Smashed Avocado with Poached egg and Harissa
Quick and easy to make you can also serve this Smashed Avocado Toast for brunch or lunch. Make sure the egg is very fresh otherwise it will be difficult to poach, and if you’re pregnant ensure your egg has the British-lion mark as it’s safe to eat.
About this recipe
READY IN: 10 MINUTES
1 ripe organic avocado
1 organic egg (must be fresh)
juice 1/2 organic lemon
1 tbsp organic sunflower seeds
1 tsp of harissa (to taste)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
small bunch of fresh coriander
1 slice of your favourite organic bread
- In a small bowl, mash avocado flesh with a fork. Mix in lemon juice, ground cumin, sunflower and 1 Tbsp of chopped coriander leaves. Season to taste with salt.
- Heat some water in a small saucepan. Add some vinegar in the water. When water is boiling, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Crack the first egg and place in a ramekin.
- Whisk the water to create a gentle whirpool.
- Delicately place the egg into the simmering water.
- Poach the egg for around 3 minutes.
- Remove with a perforated spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Spread smashed avocado on a slice of bread. Top with poached egg.
- Serve with harissa on top and a sprinkle of chopped fresh coriander leaves.
Picture credit: Annabelle, The Flexitarian theflexitarian.co.uk for Wake Up To Organic
- 8 Tips for Sustainable Weaning
- The Best Baby Books to Read This Spring
- 10 Questions to ask Your Midwife During