If you’re looking for an easy way to save a bit of money during the weekly shop, making your own bread is a super easy way to do so! This recipe is perfect for pregnancy as it’s full of fibre and healthy seeds, plus you can make two at a time and pop one in the freezer as it freezes so well.
Suitable for: 2nd trimester pregnancy
Makes: One 900g loaf
Prep: 10 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour
Suitable for freezing
- 200g plain flour
- 400g wholemeal flour
- 2 heaped teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp linseeds
- 1 tbsp treacle
- 550 ml full fat milk or plant milk
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon sunflower seeds
To make this baby friendly: when making this loaf, before adding the salt, remove a small bowl of the mixture and add to paper cups in a muffin tin. Bake for 20 minutes at 180C. There is enough mixture to make one loaf with salt for adults and 3-4 salt
free bread cupcakes, or simply make the loaf without the salt.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ Gas mark 4. Grease a 900g loaf tin.
- In a large bowl (or food processor), mix all the dry ingredients together and in the centre form a well.
- Add in the treacle and slowly add the milk, mixing together until fully combined and you have a wet dough (a bit like stiff porridge).
- Add the additional water if you need to make looser. Pour into the tin and sprinkle over the additional sunflower seeds.
- Bake for an hour or until a skewer comes out clean. Take out of tin and let cool on a wire rack.
Piccolo makes healthy (and very tasty) organic baby meals, cooking products and snacks packed with fruit and veg, making it easy for parents to give their families a nutritious start in life and promote a lifetime of healthy eating. The brand is partnered with City Harvest and gives 10% of its profits to charity. Available in all major retailers and its online store. www.mylittlepiccolo.com.