Annabel Karmel creates some taste sensations for mini mouths
When it comes to preparing purées for weaning, we all tend to stick to what we know, but introducing your baby to different tastes and textures will help form a healthy relationship with food from a young age.
You can also shake off the cold weather with a menu of warming purées for your little ones. Satisfy their tiny tums by blending together a sweet combination of foods using seasonal fruit and veggies. All are suitable from 6 months and make 4 portions.
Sweet Potato, Pear & Broccoli
150g leek, chopped
250g sweet potato, diced
150g butternut squash, diced
200g pear, peeled and diced
80g broccoli, chopped
50g Parmesan cheese, grated[/quote_box_left]
• Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the leek, sweet potato, squash and pear. Gently
sauté over the heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the water.
• Cover with a lid, bring to the boil and
then let it simmer for about 20 minutes
• Add the broccoli, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes until soft.
• Add the milk, then blend until smooth using a hand blender. Stir in the cheese.
Plaice, Leek & Sweet Potato
A knob of butter
50g leek, diced
150g sweet potato, diced into 1cm cubes
1 tomato, skinned and roughly chopped
100g plaice fillets, cut into chunks
50g Cheddar cheese, grated[/quote_box_left]
• Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the leek and soften for 5 to 8 minutes.
• Cook the sweet potato in boiling water for
10 minutes until soft and then drain.
• Add the tomato and milk to the leek and bring to the boil.
• Add the plaice and simmer for 3 minutes.
• Add the cheese and sweet potato, then blend until smooth.
Porridge with Pear & Apricots
1 ripe pear, peeled, cored and chopped
4 ready-to-eat dried apricots, chopped
1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
4 tbsp water
15g porridge oats (approximately 3 tbsp) [/quote_box_left]
•Put the fruit in a saucepan with the water. Cover and cook for about 6 minutes
• Meanwhile, put the milk and porridge oats
in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and then simmer, stirring occasionally, for
about 3 minutes.
• Combine the fruit and the porridge, and blend together.
For more recipe inspiration download Annabel’s Essential Guide to Feeding Your Baby & Toddler app. Access more than 200 delicious recipes, as well as a host of features to keep your family on track and enjoying meal times. Download the new version from the App Store now or visit annabelkarmel.com