Now that the kids are back at nursery and school, is there anything better than a quick and tasty one pot chicken dish that’s sure to bring smiles to the dinner table?
Our friends at Piccolo have shared their One Pot Chicken Dish that you can easily double up and freeze – the perfect way to get dinner sorted early on. This is also a great option for a colder autumn evening, helping to keep tummies warm and full for longer.
Suitable for: Mums in third trimester of pregnancy, remove sugar and swap red wine vinegar for balsamic vinegar in this recipe to make it baby friendly. Suitable from 6 months when pureed.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking: 40 minutes
One Pot Chicken Recipe
- 400ml Piccolo chicken stock
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ras al hanout
- 1/2 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 60g puy lentils
- 1 large butternut squash or sweet potato, deseeded and cubed
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp raisins (optional)
- Zest of one lemon
- Handful of mint
- 100g natural yoghurt
- 100g feta
- Season the chicken and heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a flameproof dish, then brown the chicken on all sides. Remove the chicken, placing onto a plate.
- In a blender, whizz the chopped onion, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, brown sugar, ginger, red chilli, and garlic cloves into a rough paste.
- Fry the sliced onion in 1 tbsp olive oil in the dish until softened, then add the turmeric and ras al hanout and fry for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the tomato paste and fry for another few mins to soften.
- Return the chicken to the dish with the butternut squash chunks, chicken stock, lentils and red wine vinegar.
- Cover and bring to a simmer, then cook for 30 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
- Lift the chicken out and stir in the raisins if using. Continue simmering the sauce without the lid on to thicken while you shred the chicken into bite-sized chunks. Stir the chicken back into the sauce and season.
- To serve, mix the zest of 1 lemon, a handful of mint leaves and natural yoghurt and top the dish with this and the crumbled feta cheese. Serve with additional couscous if wanted.
To make this baby friendly remove sugar and swap red wine vinegar for balsamic vinegar in this recipe to make it baby friendly. Suitable from 6 months when pureed.
Piccolo Organic makes healthy (and very tasty) baby meals, cooking products and snacks to help you get the balance right every day. The brand is partnered with City Harvest and Little Village, and gives 10% of its profits to charity. Available in all major retailers and its online store, www.mylittlepiccolo.com, as individual bundles and its new, personalised subscription service.