As the UK opens back up and we’re ready to head out and about, the experts in infant nutrition at Piccolo have shared their Bircher muesli recipe to fuel the whole family for a day out.
On a warm summers day is there any better way to start the morning than with a light and fruity breakfast? Our friends at Piccolo have shared their baby-friendly Bircher muesli recipe, ideal for a refreshing and easy breakfast.
Soaking the oats and seeds overnight makes them easier for little ones to digest, simply make a big bowl at the start of the week for a quick, ready-to-eat breakfast that keeps the whole family fuelled for the adventures ahead.
Suitable for: Breastfeeding mums and babies from 6 months (without the nuts and seeds)
Allergens: dairy & oats
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Bircher Muesli Recipe with Frozen Berries
- 1 eating apple, peeled, coarsely grated
- 75g jumbo porridge oats
- 25g mixed seeds (e.g. sunflower, pumpkin, linseed, sesame) – can be swapped out if serving young children
- 25g mixed nuts, roughly chopped – avoid these if serving young children
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 100g full fat natural yogurt
- 150ml water or 50/50 apple juice and water
- 50g frozen berries (such as raspberries, blueberries or mixed)
- Put the grated apple in a bowl and add the oats, seeds, half the nut, berries and the cinnamon. Toss together well.
- Stir in the yogurt and 100ml cold water, cover and chill for several hours or overnight.
- Spoon the muesli into two bowls and top with the remaining nuts.
To make this Bircher muesli recipe baby friendly, remove the roughly chopped nuts and swap with a teaspoon of nut butter (suitable from 6 months).
- Family-Friendly Raspberry and Coconut Custard
- 8 Top Tips for Sustainable Weaning
- Joe Wicks Launches new Recipe Book for Babies